Curry Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
Curry Chicken Filling:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 ½ cups stock (preferably chicken)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced carrot
- ½ cup celery
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Bones from 1 chicken
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup onions
- 2-3 springs of thyme
- Make the stock first (since it takes the longest). Saute onions, carrots and thyme until onions are clear.
- Add in bones and 2 quarts of water, bring to a boil and lower heat to a very lower simmer.
- Continue to cook for minimum 2 hours
- Make pastry second (can be set aside or made well before time) rub butter into flour, salt, sugar mixture until it reaches a moist sand consistency.
- Add in ice-cold water a very little at a time until the dough is combined, use as little water as possible and do not kneed.
- When stock is finished and dough the filling can be made. Start with a little oil and the curry, let it “burn” or change colour and colour the oil before adding in onions.
- When onions are clear add in the butter until melted and then add in flour. Stir vigorously for two minutes or until flour is cooked.
- Add in stock ½ cup at a time continuously stirring the mixture as to keep it smooth and avoid forming lumps.
- When a thick but creamy base is formed add in the vegetables (peas, carrots, celery, potatoes; you can feel free to add different ones if you like!), cook until potatoes are tender (approx. 10 minutes)
- Chicken should be added last since it is already cooked. Add in and take the mixture off the heat.
- Fill ramekins or oven safe dishes with the filling.
- Roll out dough to a ¼ inch thickness and cut out pieces large enough to cover the top and ¼ inch of the side of each container.
- Place dough on the container and secure it to the sides, make a small ‘x’ incision to the top to let the steam escape.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 400F or 205C for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes and serve!
For full instructional video, please visit https://youtu.be/Brijw_0b0A8