Massy Stores diverts 90,000 lbs of cardboard waste from landfill, through partnership with New Age Recycling Ltd.
Massy Stores continued its waste reduction programme through a new cardboard recycling initiative with New Age Recycling. The supermarket chain announced from June 2021 to December 2021, over ninety thousand pounds (90,000 lbs) of cardboard generated at all its store locations were recycled through the partnership programme.
“We started a journey, aligned to Massy’s purpose of creating value and transforming lives, to reduce the distribution of waste plastic in the environment by encouraging customers to use reusable bags. The result has been a 70-80% reduction in customer consumption of plastic bags at Massy Stores when compared to our consumption levels in prior years. Similarly, we receive large quantities of waste cardboard and cardboard packaging in our back store. We are encouraged that through this partnership with New Age Recycling, those materials can be reused and repurposed instead of adding to landfill waste,” commented Roxane de Freitas, CEO, Massy Stores.
New Age Recycling Limited’s Managing Director, Kevin Whiteman added, “Consumers need to call on companies to take action to build recycling into their business model, and companies should embrace and embark on the behavioral change needed; and work towards creating a circular economy and reducing landfill waste. This has clearly been the vision of Massy Stores as it continues to demonstrate its commitment to corporate sustainability. We are excited to also partner on this journey to reduce our local greenhouse gas emissions”.
In addition to the above-mentioned waste reduction initiatives, Massy Stores has also undertaken several other sustainability initiatives including:
- Continued support of the iCare programme at major store locations across the country.
- Incorporated insulated roofing designs and LED lighting, both of which are more energy efficient, at our new and refurbished stores, in Trinidad and Tobago and across the region.
- Switched to R-404A gas – a gas with zero ozone layer impact, used in new refrigeration equipment
- Usage of energy efficient LED lighting in new and refurbished locations.
- Installed energy efficient UV Germicidal lamp systems at all store locations – which form a part of the Central Air Condition systems and sanitize the air circulated by the AC system, treating it for mould, bacteria and germs.
New Age Recycling Limited is a subsidiary of HADCO Group, and is focused on collecting, sorting, and baling wastepaper, cardboard and Tetra Pak; and collecting and sorting used aluminium cans and PET bottles for the purpose of recycling.