Dessert, Recipes, Vegetarian
- 1 kg soft guavas
- Sugar (amount based on how much pulp you get out of the guavas)
- Cut the guavas into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Put the seeds in a sieve and add a small amount of water. Rub into the sieve and press down with a flat spoon so as to extract the pulp surrounding the seeds, into a bowl kept below the sieve.
- Blend the gauva pieces to s smooth pulp in your food processor. Measure how many cups of pulp you have – include the pulp removed from around the seeds.
- Put all the pulp into a large, flat, heavy-bottomed dish on a medium flame.
- Add sugar to the amount of one cup less than the number of cups of guava pulp. For example, if you had 6 cups of pulp, add 5 cups of sugar to it.
- Cook, stirring frequently, till it becomes hard to stir and the guava cheese begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Grease a platter and spoon the guava cheese onto it. Spread into a thick layer.
- Allow to cool a little and while still warm, cut into diamond shapes.
- When completely cooled, store in an air-tight container.