Trini Curry Duck
- 6-7 lbs of Duck
- 1 lime or lemon
- 1 tomato – sliced
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 hot pepper sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground geera (cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon amchar masala
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon green seasoning
- 4 cloves of garlic – crushed
- A dash black pepper
- 4 shadon beni leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 onion (sliced thin)
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut duck into 1-2 inch pieces, place in a large bowl and squeeze the lime or lemon over it.
Pour some water (not mentioned in the ingredients list) and wash the meat.
- Remove all the fat and skin that you can. Rinse with clean water and drain.
- Season the meat with the sliced tomato, sliced hot pepper, geera, masala, salt, green seasoning,
1 sliced onion, black pepper and shadon beni.
- In a heavy pot (one with a lid) heat the oil on high heat.
- Add the curry powder to a small bowl and add the 1/4 cup of water to make a runny paste.
The oil should be smoking by now so go ahead and add the 1/4 sliced onion and stir.
- Add the curry mixture that was just prepared. Turn down the heat and allow this to cook for about 5 minutes or so, or until it comes to a thick paste and starts sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the heat back up to a medium/high and start adding the seasoned duck to the pot.
Be sure to stir properly so everything gets incorporated with the curry. Add 2 cups of water, and then bring to a boil.
- Turn back down the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and allow this to cook for about 40 minutes-1 hour. (You can occasionally check the texture of the duck to determine if it is soft enough)