Smoked Turkey Soup
- 4-5 smoked turkey drumsticks
- 2 potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1lb dasheen
- 4 eddoes
- 1 pepper
- 1 pack cock soup
- water (10-14 cups)
- 1 carrot
- 1 sweet corn
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup black eye peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ochro
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onions and garlic. Heat oil in a deep soup pot and add the chopped ingredients. Allow that to cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat to soften the onions.
- Wash and drain the black eye peas and add it to the pot along with the chopped carrot.
- Then add the smoked turkey drumsticks and pour in the water
- Add the pepper, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer away for 45- 60 minutes or until the peas are tender
- While simmering, peel and prep the root vegetables. Remove the skin off the dasheen, eddoes, potato and sweet potato and remove the stems off the ochro. Cut each in even sized pieces so they will cook evenly.
- Cut each corn into 4-5 pieces and give a good rinse
- After 50 minutes or so the peas should be tender. Remove the smoked turkey leg and set aside to cool.
- Gently add all the prepared ingredients into the pot and bring to a boil, including the packet of ‘cock’ soup and then simmer for about 25-30 minutes
- Strip the pieces of meat off the bone and add back to the pot…Add back the bone as well for additional flavor. Serve hot and enjoy!